Cataraqui Canoe Club
Instructions for Evening Paddlers
Last updated May 2015
These instructions are posted at the boathouse
1. There is no charge for Club members to sign-out a watercraft to paddle from
the Boat House on designated evenings. Watercraft must be used from the
Boathouse however, on the Cataraqui River or Kingston waterfront and may not be
removed from the local water other than on organized Club trips, for which boats
can be rented.
2. Heavy weeds present a serious hazard if you upset your boat. Avoid
paddling among the weeds often present in the middle of the river.
3. Everyone is required to wear a Personal Floatation Device (PFD) while in the
watercraft at all times and have a bailer, a floating line, and a whistle. In
the event of an emergency, blow 3 long whistle blasts. If you have a phone,
call 911. The Canoe Club is located at Orchard Park at the foot of Cataraqui
Street, North of the River Mill Restaurant and Woolen Mill.
4. Be aware of changing weather conditions, particularly high winds, and
consider returning earlier than planned. If thunderclouds appear or you hear
thunder, get off the water.
5. You may bring a guest along with you in a canoe. Guests however, are not
allowed to go solo in a canoe or kayak.
6. Boaters are responsible for any damages to the watercraft or its equipment.
7. Watercraft must be returned and in the Boathouse (NO LATER THAN 8:00 PM).
If members fail to return before said time and Emergency Services have to be
contacted, they may be held responsible for any charges incurred for said
Have a Safe and Enjoyable Paddle!