Instructions for Boathouse Paddlers
Last updated July 2022
These instructions are posted at the boathouse
- Disinfect your hands with provided hand sanitizer before entering the boathouse. Masks in the boathouse are optional.
- Identify yourself to the volunteer to confirm your membership.
- You must read and sign the COVID-19 declaration of compliance.
- You may bring a guest along with you in a canoe. Guests however, are not allowed to go solo in a canoe or kayak.
- Everyone is required to wear a Personal Flotation Device (PFD) while in a watercraft at all times and have a bailing bucket containing a rope and whistle. In the event of an Emergency, blow 3 long whistle blasts. If immediate assistance is required and you have a phone, call 911. The Canoe Club is located at Orchard Park at the foot of Cataraqui Street, North of the River Mill Restaurant and Woolen Mill.
- Remove the equipment from the boathouse and advise the volunteer of the number on the watercraft you are borrowing.
- Please do not rest boats on the pavement, take directly to the dock or put into the boathouse.
- All persons are responsible for their own safety. If you are unsure about your paddling ability, ask the boathouse volunteer to assist you in getting into your watercraft. You may also want to consider remaining close to shore or in view of the boathouse in the event of a mishap.
- Consider wind direction. You may want to paddle up-wind first so you have a tail-wind on your return trip.
- Paddling through the weeds presents a serious hazard if you tip over. Avoid paddling amongst the weeds that are often present in the middle of the river.
- Be aware of changing weather conditions, particularly high winds, and consider returning earlier than planned if required. If thunderclouds appear or you hear thunder, get off the water.
- Boaters are responsible for any damages to the watercraft or its equipment.
- Watercraft must be returned and in the boathouse before the time of closing. If members fail to return before said time and Emergency Services have to be contacted, members may be held responsible for any charges incurred for said services.
- Upon returning from paddling, return all equipment to original storage locations.
- Advise the volunteer when all equipment is returned.
Have a Safe and Enjoyable Paddle!